Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Keiki Luau!

As previously mentioned, On August 17th, I held a little luau for the girls I had been teaching the Hula to all summer! The girls worked so hard on their dances and were very excited to show off their new skills to their parents.


Despite the chaos of trying to get everyone dressed, the food served, and the finishing touches of decorating done, I was able to stop for a few seconds to take a picture with my cute hula dancers. (Thanks to Colleen who had just run home to get the ukulele that I had accidentally left behind!)


Once the show started, the girls knew exactly what to do! They began by dancing a Kahiko called Kalakaua. After Kalakaua, the girls performed Puka Pants, and later they danced with poi balls to the song Terina. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures because we were taking video instead, and for some reason none of the videos have sound, so I decided not to upload them. :(


But someone did catch a nice shot of the Mormon Missionaries performing the Haka with Kevin during one of our costume changes! Elder Pulotu and Elder Blackner were a great addition to the show and we are so grateful they agreed to dance for us.


At the end of the show we let each girl walk on stage one at a time to receive a candy lei and a standing ovation from their parents. Aren't they cute?!

The luau was a lot of work, but thanks to the great parents of my girls who brought food to share, my in-laws who worked so hard to make things beautiful, and my husband who is the best emcee EVER! We were able to pull it off and have a wonderful time! Can't wait to do it again next summer!

1 comment:

Erin Uda said...

Naomi, this is so cool! I wish we were closer so we could be there to help and take advantage of your amazing talent. Love you!