Friday, September 2, 2011

Fun with Grandma Uda!

I've always felt that my mom was the most amazing woman in the world, and now that I am a mother myself, I am convinced of it! She not only raised 8 children all the way to adulthood, but she continues to raise them, her grandchildren, and the many foster children and families that she took in over the years. More amazing still, she has somehow managed to come out of the whole thing both sane and balanced!

So, one of the blessings of being out in Utah in July was to see my mom in action again... and I think I might finally understand how she survived her life all these years. My mom knows two important things: when to let go, and how to let go. When I got down to Pleasant Grove to visit, she had just come home from her mother's unexpected funeral in Virginia to a house full of chaos. But instead of sitting alone in her room to cry and taking 2 weeks off of life to mourn, she played!


My mother, who has many health problems including Rheumatoid Arthritis, got on her hands and knees and PLAYED! She spent time with all the grandchildren, playing Twister, giving piggy back rides, and teaching them how to use new toys.


She took them out to McDonald's, the movies, the play park, and the pool. And she didn't just sit and watch, she joined in on all the fun, going down slides, climbing through obstacles, and sharing an occasional ice cream cone!


And when we got home, she played some MORE! She played London Bridge is Falling Down...


She played  Duck Duck Goose...


And she even taught the kids the Hokey Pokey!


My mom is truly an amazing woman and I am SO grateful to have her in my life, and in the lives of my sweet girls who love their Grandma Uda with all their hearts!

3 comments:

Cindy Uda said...

Wow Naomi! I didn't know you had all of that on video! We sure did have fun though. Miss those sweet little girls and my sweet daughter. Loves!

Beccarigg said...

How cute is Mom? Seriously love her and think our kids are soooo lucky to have such a hands on fun grandma. That pic of her with all the kids at McDonalds is sooo precious. She should make that her profile pic. Also love that she's wearing her awesome Grandma shirt I got her! Yeah!!

Sarah said...

Wow, mom is like so super totally cool. I love watching her play with the kids like that. It makes me want to be a better mom.